Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The Olympics Addendum Part IX: Leaving Korea

After Seoul, we headed back to Daejeon, where we wandered the city, and saw old friends. We even had lunch with my professor from KAIST, who is doing well. Then at 4AM, we boarded the bus to Incheon, got on a plane and headed back. Trans-pacific airplane rides are long, but they treat us well. The flight includes two full meals, and they give us slippers, pillows, blankets, tooth brushes, and a really sore backside.

This trip was a good chance to look back and appreciate what we learned from our adventure back in 2011-2013. Korean life is natural enough for us to get by without much worry, and we were able to enjoy this trip in a deeper way because we knew how to get around. I found out that I can read at a 1st grade level, which is a big accomplishment for me, because I’m pretty sure I talk like a toddler. The thing that was the most fun was being able to talk to all the people who don’t normally speak English, which is the big payout of language learning. I’ll probably never make it past 5th grade in Korea, but if I do, there’s no stopping.

East Asia’s differences reminded me that conventional wisdom is often just a mental shortcut, and there are often several ways to do things. It was really fun to encounter stuff I thought were bizarre back in 2011, but now find familiar and comfortable. We got to eat lots of fermented  food, sleep on the floor, eschew chairs, and wash dishes in sinks without drain stoppers.  (Prior to yesterday, I never knew why I washed dishes so strangely. It turns out that I was just doing it the Korean way without knowing. I think it does a better job too).


We were free from cars for two weeks, and replaced them with subways, buses, bullet trains and airplanes. We got to cross streams on stepping stones that would be considered too tall for safety, walk down the middle of streets with no sidewalks,  eat squid jerky, wander downtown at 4AM, walk along sheets of ice on sidewalks, and various other activities that would rattle American sensibilities. We got to see old friends, and even meet some new ones.  It was basically a 2 week long party.  We loved it!

Some funny guys at Jinbu Station
Note: many comedians dress in the old style for skits, but why does the dude on the right have his hoodie tucked in?

Until next time, this is Riley, signing out
-//-/   //

No comments:

Post a Comment