Sunday, April 29, 2012

Fishies

Riley and I were out running the other day (yes, I have taken up running even though I still don't like it very much.  It is good for me, though, and it has some benefits as you will see shortly).  We run along a river where they have converted the banks into and long bike and running track.  Its a good place to run and travel around town without going on the sidewalks through the city.  My favorite part about the rivers is that they are the wildest places I have seen in the city.  They are always full of ducks, egrets, and herons with the occasional grebe!  This is one of the things that makes running ok, it is a good excuse to see the waterfowl in the river.
Back to the story, Riley ran ahead of me like usual, and I started watching the water looking for interesting ducks.  It was a drizzly day, so there weren't as many people out as usual.  Instead of dabbling ducks, I saw lots of splashing.  The water where the splashing was is very shallow, and I started seeing fins sticking out of the splashing.  It was a giant fish!  Actually, 4 giant fish!  I don't know what they were doing, but they were very determined about doing it.  I kept running, but every 30 meters or so (yes, I am started to convert to metric) I saw more splashing fish!  I finally had to stop and figure out what was going on, but all I know is that there were usually two fish splashing together.  They are the biggest fish I have ever seen in our urban river.  I'm glad they can live there.  They were about 1.5-2 ft long (ok, maybe not all metric). 
These little incidents help keep me running and in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment