Thursday, August 25, 2011

We are Here!

Riley and I have made it to Souther Korea!  I believe I can smell a wiff of kim-chee, and this keyboard (provided by the hotel) can do this: ㅜ포오다ㅕㅛ츄마뎌ㅛ.  I do not know what I said, so don't try to translate.  People here are super polite.  Everytime we say "thank you" in Korean I think we surprise them.  The language barrier is not too bad so far, but there is a random remote here that we have no idea what it controls because it is not the tv and it is all in Korean. 

Our worldly posessions
 Strange things so far: The toliet is multi-functional, in addition to normal function it can clean you and give you a massage; there are two doors to our hotel room, in between there is a place to take off your shoes with sandels and shoe horn provided; and there is a tiny steam sterilization chamber for coffee cups, like a mini dishwasher.  The 220V plugs are also strange (but expected)

Our hotel bathroom :-D
All our worldly possessions for the next two years made it!  Its currently 7:10 in the morning in the US, but I don't think I've had more than 3 hours of sleep since we boarded.  We watched Kung Fu Panda 2, then I watched Rio and a Korean action film strangely similar to Kung Fu Panda.  They also had neat language programs where we could play video games to practice words.  Out the window we were able to see Alaska and Siberia.  Since we didn't have window seats we had to go to the back and look through a tiny window near the bathrooms.  This paid off when we made friends with a flight attendent who gave us free pens, postcards, and playing cards!
I'm so glad we make it here!  I can't think of more to say, so I think I'll try to figure out how to use the shower using only buttons labeled in Korean.

3 comments:

  1. "The toliet is multi-functional, in addition to normal function it can clean you and give you a massage."

    Win.

    Glad y'all made it OK. Hello from me and Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, I'm loving the commentary...provided by the only people I now know in South Korea! Glad y'all made it there with everything :) Hello from Rutherfordton!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad yall made it! I am lovin this blog. We love you guys!
    ashlee & steven

    ReplyDelete